OSS: Cubs bats come alive, win comfortably in season opener
- Javy Baez homered twice, and drove in four runs. Not a bad start for last year’s MVP runner-up. Perhaps more importantly, he also worked a full count in his first PA. The dude seems like he is picking up where he left off last year.
- The Cubs overall drew 8 walks on the day, and all nine starters got on base at least once, as well as at least one R+RBI. Definitely a team effort all around, even if Javy led the show.
- Jon Lester was credible today, giving up four hits and two walks (and one homer) for two runs. He only struck out three, but I guess this is the pitcher that he is now.
- Not much to complain about here, other than the fact that apparently a ten run lead wasn’t enough for a Tyler Chatwood appearance. I guess tomorrow is an off day, but it’s still a little strange to see Strop make an appearance here.
- Mark Zagunis wins the prize for most negative WPA play on the day, a double play in a tie game in the third inning.
- He didn’t win the overall negative WPA crown of the day though, which went to Albert Almora. I don’t mind seeing him lead off against a LHP, but he struck out twice against Minor, who is a guy he should crush.
Next up: An off day tomorrow, then the series resumes on Saturday at 7:05 PM CT, when Yu Darvish takes on Edinson Volquez.