OSS: Cook County General Hospital Squad bombs their way past the team with the best record in baseball.
- Javy hit two home runs, including a Sosa-esque bomb that hit the CF camera shack above the batters eye. Javy’s line now sits at .260/.295/.514, good for a .343 wOBA, and he’s on pace for another unique 4-5 WAR season.
- Injury callup and former Cardinals first round pick Patrick Wisdom had a two-homer day as well. The Cubs have had a plethora of injuries this year, and it’s a little jarring to see some of their replacements step up. Matt Duffy certainly stands out among the group of bench/minors guys going into the season, but Wisdom might have vaulted himself to second on the list. I hope he manages to stick around one way or another.
- Speaking of former top prospects putting it together, former Twins first round pick Kohl Stewart was the last-minute starter today following an emergency appendectomy for Trevor Williams. He pitched a solid five innings, allowing just one unearned run. He also made a slick behind the back catch on a shot up the middle that he totally did on purpose (dying laughing).
- Said appendectomy for Williams is pretty hilarious when looking at this team from 30,000 feet. At this rate Zach Davies is going to miss his next start due to being bitten by a moose.
- Joc Pederson was the only batter to be completely blanked on the scorecard, going 0-4 with two strikeouts. He’s cooled off a smidge from his hot start back from the injury.
- It’s a great start to this stretch of games, but the Cubs have their work cut out for them. The Cubs are in the middle of a ~3 week stretch with no off days, and have 2 more games in this series against the Padres followed by the dreaded west coast trip to face SD and SF.
Next up: Ryan Weathers takes on Cyle at 7:05 PM CT