OSS: Cubs scratch back runs to beat a bad team.
- Yan Gomes (Yanny Bench?) had the biggest Cubs hit of the day. He hit a game-tying double in the sixth inning to tie up the game, good for .180 WPA.
- The Cubs WPA leader on the day was Nico, who had hits in the first and last innings that led to runs, drew two walks, and hit a sac fly in the fifth as the Cubs clawed back.
- His results were so-so but it was good to see Stroman back. His piggybacked start with Assad combined for seven innings, eight strikeouts, 1 walk and three runs.
- I was out running errands for most of this game and was only in and out of the radio broadcast, but it seemed like the Cubs hit approximately 500 warning track outs today. I think the booth said the wind was blowing in but jeez.
- The Cubs had a chance to blow things wide open with the bases clogged in the seventh with nobody out, but only managed one run. Granted, that’s an improvement on what we’ve seen lately, but still not what you want.
- All the pregame stories were about David Ross apologizing to the Pirates manager for some frustrated comments earlier in the week. I finally looked up what he said and…that’s it? All he said is “that’s not a good team that we lost a series to”. I assumed he called them trash, said they sucked, whatever. The Pirates have been terrible for three decades (game 163 losses excluded), have a cheapass owner, and are on pace for yet another losing season. Let’s be real here fellas. It’s not like Rossy pointed any of this shit out.
The Cubs go for the sweep with Jordan Wicks on the mound against Ty Blach at 1:20 CT.
The Marlins are currently beating the Beers 4-1 in the sixth inning as I write this. They start tomorrow at 12:40 CT.
The Dbacks were rained out against the Yankees, and MLB did a little schedule shifting to move their makeup game to monday, and their regularly scheduled monday game against the White Sox to Thursday. Given the current weather situation on the east coast there’s a good chance that Sunday’s game turns into a doubleheader on Monday. Good new for fellow wild card teams.
The Reds face the Pirates at 5:40 CT tonight, and again at 12:40 CT tomorrow.