OSS: The Cubs give Hawk Harrelson a fitting send-off.
- Kyle Hendricks continued his solid string of starts, allowing one run and striking out five in 7.2 innings. The rest of the Cubs starters have struggled this year, but Kyle is bang on with his preseason projections.
- The biggest play of the game was Rizzo’s RBI double in the first inning, which got the Cubs offense rolling. A RBI groundout and Bote single later and it was suddenly 3-0.
- Kyle Schwarber made is presence felt in this once, hitting a bomb of a HR in his first PA and an RBI double in his next. The Sox were clearly making a point to pitch around him the rest of the game.
- KB sat out this game with some vague shoulder ‘fatigue’. Joe tried to downplay this as being proactive, but we’ve certainly seen plenty of these ‘no big deal’ injuries this season. I hope it’s the truth this time and he’s back soon.
- The Brewers won big. At least they probably wore out the Pirates pen.
- We won’t have Hawk to kick around anymore.
Next up: The Pirates head to Wrigley for a four game set. Jameson Taillon takes on Cole Hamels at 7 CT.