- Tommy La Stella hit a go ahead two run homer in the sixth inning and the Cubs managed to make it stick. La Stella has been eclipsed by Bote in recent days but it’s good to see him still making some noise.
- The pen was aces in this one, pitching 4.2 innings and allowing just one hit and no walks. Kintzler gave up a sac fly to his first batter to score one of Monty’s trailers, but they managed to hang on to the lead once La Stella clawed it back.
- Looks like KB will be back tomorrow!
- Heyward left the game with a hamstring injury, which led to a chunk of the Braves runs. No word as yet on the seriousness.
- It was a relatively rough return for Monty. He looked good through the first two innings but got shakier as the start went on. Even then, were it not for the injury-assisted triple, he might have hung on for another inning or so.
- The Brewers and Cardinals both won, so nothing changes in the standings other than time.
Next up: The Cubs head to Philly to take on the reeling Phillies, who have won three of their last ten and have seen their run differential on the season drop to +3. The Cubs will miss facing Arrieta once again, but draw Aaron Nola on Sunday.