1. Trevor Cahill has been great since coming to the Cubs on a minor-league deal. Since being released by the Braves, he's had a 2.79 FIP in his 4 Cubs appearances. He might get the start in the pen game coming up, and he helped his cause with 2 shutout, 1 hit, no walk innings.
2. Tommy La Stella pinch hit a double that scored Montero, bringing to 4-2. He knocked Cole out of the game, which brought in Joakim "Wild Pitch!" Soria. Great plate appearance by Streetcar there.
3. Man, Dexter Fowler is valuable. Another 1-3, BB day, getting the Cubs on board first.
1. Miguel Montero went 2-4 and scored a run, but he (along with Castro) had a throwing error in the 8th which set up the winning sacrifice fly. Not good.
Three Four Down
1. Jason Hammel looked awful in this game. The first inning has really been his bugaboo, and this game was absolutely no different.
2. Castro had an ugly end to this game, with a bad attempt at nailing Florimon stealing 2nd (allowing the ball to roll into center), and then an ugly AB against Melancon in the top of the 9th. not a great game by Starlin here.
3. Kyle Schwarber was ice cold this game, going 0-4 with 2 strikeouts.
4. Kris Bryant was ice colder, going 0-4 with 3 strikeouts and looking absolutely lost out there.
1. Jon Lester was worth $156 million dollars with his performance yesterday. He was 11 pitches away from the Maddux, and besides a shaky 7th inning he put together the best pitching performance not in a no-hitter thrown by the Cubs this year. The Dodgers match up against the Cubs well from a 1-2 standpoint; after that, I'll take Arrieta/Lester over DeGrom/Harvey, Cole/Burnett, and Wacha/Martinez.
2. Javier Baez had the sick defensive plays both games, and he also went 2-4 in this game with a double.
3. David Ross went 2-4 with a double and a run scored; more importantly, he was the field manager in the 7th inning and helped get Lester out of his mess. He is clearly going to have opportunities as a future manager when he retires.
Three Two Down
1. Addison Russell had a slick glove in this game, so his 0-4, 3 K performance is a little easier to swallow. He had some horrific plate appearances, though.
2. Kris Bryant again looked not very good. He managed to draw a walk, but he went 0-3 with 2 more strikeouts. I'm not overly worried, but it's something to note.
Eh, you know what?
Two One Down
Play of Game 1
Play of Game 2