OSS: What strange new world is this?
- The key play of the game was Anthony Rizzo taking third base on a groundout in the eighth inning to set up the go ahead run on a sac fly from Heyward. His double preceding that helped too I guess.
- Heyward also drove in the Cubs second run with a double in the sixth inning, which was the highest WPA play in the game.
- John Lackey gave up a leadoff homerun to newly ringed Dexter Fowler, but settled in to pitch seven solid innings.
- Carl Edwards was shaky af, walking the bases clogged before Pedro Strop struck out Yadier Molina to end the threat, which is something I would not have expected to write.
- Jon Jay had the lowest WPA play of the day for the Cubs, grounding into a bases clogged double play in a tie game in the sixth. This was after Maddon had burned nearly his entire bench over the span of two batters. Gotta have those matchups, yo. And John Lackey batting in the eighth.
- It was another tough day for the slumping Kyle Schwarber and Addison Russell, who went 0-5 combined with four strikeouts.