- Chili Davis is gone. It appears that like offensive coordinators for the Bears or Defense Against the Dark Arts professors, nobody can last more than a year in this position. The Cubs fired John Mallee because Chili Davis was an “all-star coordinator,” and then fired him because he led the Cubs from the all-star talent level to the dumpster in half a season. Davis will be among the more quixotic hires in the Theo-Jed era. I never understood getting rid of Mallee and don’t actually buy the “couldn’t pass up Davis” company line. I remain convinced that Mallee was fired for other reasons. Irresponsible of me to speculate why.
- Anthony Iapoce is back. I think this is the absolute most responsible hire the Cubs could have made and am pleased they did so. He knows the team, the organization, and the philosophy that has been successful in the past. I’m curious if I should read anything into it as far as who is leaving the island and who isn’t (Ian Happ never worked with Iapoce), which means I definitely shouldn’t assume he’s gone but definitely will assume he is. Weeeee!
- Brandon Hyde is probably gone. Hyde was probably the next Cubs manager, and I assume he figured into the Joe Maddon staying or leaving calculus, but it appears that the Cubs won’t get that opportunity. Hyde has never managed at the major league level, but he’s been groomed to do so for several years. If/when Hyde leaves, seems like Will Venable will take over his responsibilities, though I also wonder if David Ross would be interested.
- Shiraz Rehman is leaving for the Rangers. I’m not going to pretend I know much about this guy – I’ve heard of him, but that’s about it. Good for him! The tendrils of the Theo Epstein Braintrust extend ever forward.
- Nico Hoerner is beating the absolute shit out of the AZL. Hoerner, the Cubs 1st round (24th overall) pick in the draft this year, was on fire before he was injured and put on the DL for the season. Good to see that he’s back and (presumably) as good as before. Hoerner is going to be a quick mover through the minors, probably culminating in a 2020 cup of coffee should everything go well with his development.
Share this Post