Did The Cubs Win?
OSS: Hector Rondon blew his first save on a DARWIN BARNEY ERROR, and Joe Truth shat the bed in the 13th.
1. Jeff Samardzija was awesome (again). He didn’t get the win (again). The Cubs lost the game (again).
2. Junior Lake! He did really well today, notching 3 singles and raising his season line to .272/.295/.464. Still needs to take more walks, but Lake has really improved over his last 10 games.
3. Anthony Rizzo struck out twice, but walked three times. I like it.
1. Jose Veras is terrible this year. He came in with a 12.27 ERA and it went up.
2. Hector Rondon blew his first save. He’s allowed to blow one every now and again, so I’m not really frustrated at all.
3. Darwin Barney blew this game by committing an error in the 9th. A double play would have ended it, and if he holds onto the ball, the game is 2-1, but he bounces a ball to Rizzo badly and the man from 3rd scores on the error. If he can’t hit, he has to be perfect in the field, and he gave this one away. I don’t begrudge him for his failure to execute, I begrudge him for trying it in the first place.
Today, 9:10 PM CT
Cubs (Arrieta) @ Padres (Stults)
Will The Cubs Win?