Did the Cubs Win?
OSS: Alcantara has an acceptable debut, but Cubs bats (besides Rizzo) fall silent.
1. Anthony Rizzo went 2-3, HR, BB. He now leads the Final Vote, and he really should win. He might be the best 1B in baseball this year. Pretty incredible what a difference in luck can make.
2. Welington Castillo went 1-2 with a walk. That is what constitutes the second best performance in the game.
3. Wesley Wright worked 2 solid innings.
1. Dallas Beeler did not strike a person out in 25 plate appearances. 5 innings, 6 hits, 4 walks, 4 earned runs. That’s not so good.
2. Justin Ruggiano went 0-4 with 3 strikeouts. He struck out more than the Reds did.
How Was Arismendy Alcantara?
Pretty ok. He had some decent plate appearances, though the final line (0-4, 2 K) was pretty poor. He made some good plays in the field, and gave every indication he could be a weapon defensively. Arismendy saw 18 pitches (4.5 per PA), all left-handed. I’d like to see him play CF today, but really, I just want to see him in the lineup again.
Today, 12:35 PM CT
Hendricks (debut!!!!) vs. Bailey
Will the Cubs Win?