OSS: Jon Lester looks bad, but the Pirates offense remembered their bats for once.
- The Pirates Adam Frazier hit a walk-off HR to drop the Cubs magic number to 8. Frazier also got the run scoring going with a triple in the second inning. It took a player having a WPA of nearly .700 for the Pirates to win a game, but here we are.
- Special thanks to the usually unstoppable Corey Knebel for also allowing the tying run in the eighth thanks to a throwing error.
- The Cubs won seven games in a row. I guess we can't all be Cleveland. However, not many people know this, but the Cubs beat Cleveland in a rare best-of-seven series last year.
- Man, does Jon Lester look cooked. Seven runs on eight hits and three walks and ZERO strikeouts in four plus innings is…not great. He has a 5+ ERA going back to the all star break. Maybe he caught JLHD (John Lackey Homer Disease). I think it's listed right next to David Patton Disease in the baseball DSM.
- I missed the game, but it sounds like Baez took a few shots at some 55 foot breaking balls.
- The Cardinals are pretty much done, but it's still annoying to see them win.
Next up: The Cubs play a crucial four game set against the Crew. Jake Arrieta returns from injury to face Zach Davies, who has been on fire in the second half of the season. He pitched seven innings of one run ball in his last outing against the cubs, about 2 weeks ago, but followed that up by getting wrecked for six runs by the Marlins.