OSS: The most annoying kind of loss.
- Despite eventually blowing the lead, the new look Cubs bullpen was pretty good in this one. The Pen pitched 10+ innings of shutout baseball, including seven innings from Eddie Butler who posted a whopping .898 WPA in this one.
- Kyle Hendricks looks pretty good, and was hitting 88 or so on the gun. Certainly a lot better than what we saw at this time last year. The run that the Marlins scored off of him felt more like sequencing luck than anything else.
- Kris Bryant hit his first homer of the year, a solo shot in the third inning that ended up as the Cubs lone run.
- Javier Baez had an absolutely brutal day at the plate, going 0-7 with two strikeouts. His bunt to try to move ahead the runners in the sixteenth inning was the Cubs second biggest negative WPA play of the game.
- That negative play was more than doubled by Jason Heyward hitting into a double play with the bases clogged to end the fifteenth inning. Oy.
- Despite the pen praise above, Carl Edwards Jr nearly gave up the game in regulation with one of his bouts of wildness. As dm pointed out in the game thread, it's baffling that batters would swing at anything he throws.
Next up: Yu Darvish faces….someone… at 6:10 PM CT. The Marlins burned Saturday's starter Despaigne in extras so it is unclear who will end up pitching.