I’m short on time today so this will be quick.
Jeimer Candelario: 2-4, double
Candelario is off to a really good start in AAA. He could provide the Cubs some additional infield flexibility down the stretch.
David Freitas: 2-2, double, walk, RBI, run scored
Freitas is a 27 year old catcher who hit really well in AA and is off to a solid start in AAA. It doesn’t sound like Miguel Montero will be needing a DL stint, but Freitas is a possible replacement on the roster. I think Joe would stick with 2 catchers at that point and use David Ross as the primary catcher and Willson Contreras a couple times per turn through the rotation.
Jake Buchanan: 6 IP, 3 H, R, 4 BB 7 K
Buchanan improved to 6-4, but has allowed quite a few runs.
- Tyler Pane: 3-4, run scored
- Andruw Monasterio: 2-5, triple, RBI, run scored, strikeout
- Jose Paniagua: 2-5, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts
- Wladimir Galindo: 2-4, run scored
- Pedro Silverio: 5 IP, 3 hits allowed, 1 run, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts
The Emeralds easily won this one, but their pitching staff combined for 7 walks and 3 strikeouts, which was the opposite of what their offense did. The offense had 13 hits though while the pitching staff allowed only 5.
- Jose Jules: 2-5, RBI, 3 strikeouts
- Rafael Narea: 2-3, walk
- Luis Hidalgo: 1-3, home run, walk, RBI, 2 runs scored
- Riger Fernandez: 5 innings pitched, 4 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
- Aramis Ademan: 1-2, 2 walks, 2 runs scored, strikeout
- Fidel Mejia: 2-4, double, RBI, walk, run scored, strikeout
- Miguel Amaya: 2-5, double, 2 RBI, run scored
- Carlos Ocampo: 5 innings pitched, 4 hits, run, walk, 5 strikeouts
- Andres Bonalde: 3.2 innings, 7 hits, 5 runs (4 earned), walk, 2 strikeouts, home run allowed
The Cubs did a good job of spreading their 8 hits around. Only Rafael Mejia (3B) had more than one. He was 2-4 with a double, run scored and a strikeout. Kevin Zamudio (DH) and Michael Cruz (C) also doubled. Zamudio was 1-4 while Cruz was 1-3 with a hit by pitch.
Jose Albertos was rather dominating in his first start. He threw 4 innings, allowed only a hit and no runs. He walked just one and struckout 7. He clearly has not learned The Cubs Way for pitching prospects. Tanner Griggs threw 1.2 innings, allowed 4 hits and 4 runs. He walked a batter and struckout one.