Cubs bring home the hardware
- Cy Young – Jake Arrieta (169); Zack Greinke (147); Clayton Kershaw (101)
- Rookie of the Year – Kris Bryant (150, unanimous); Matt Duffy (70); Jung Ho Kang (28)
- Manager of the Year – Joe Maddon (124); Mike Matheny (87); Terry Collins (49)
Esurance MLB Awards
- Best Starting Pitcher: Jake Arrieta
- Best Rookie: Kris Bryant
- Best Breakout Player: Jake Arrieta
- Best Fan Catch
- Players Choice Awards – Oustanding Rookie: Kris Bryant
Relief Pitchers, Relief Pitchers, and More Relief Pitchers
The Cubs have added 4 relief pitchers to their 40 man roster through waivers, signings, and a trade. They are:
- Ryan Cook (11/6/15) claimed off waivers from Red Sox
- Andury Acevedo (11/18/15) signed
- Jack Leathersich (11/19/15) claimed off waivers from Mets
- Rex Brothers (11/25/15) acquired for LHP Wander Cabrera
The Cubs have 14 relief pitchers on the 40 man roster.
Rule 5 Eligible Players
The Cubs protected 4 players from the Rule 5 draft: Jeimer Candelario, Dan Vogelbach, Willson Contreras, and Pierce Johnson. For the full list, visit AZ Phil. I also wrote a piece on some of the players left unprotected here.
Rumors & Signings Around the League
- The Tigers signed Jordan Zimmerman for 5 years $110 million pending a physical. That's an AAV of $22 million. Zimmerman is considered the 3rd or 4th best starting pitcher available on the Free Agent market. The Tigers will forfeit their 2nd round pick as their first round pick is top 9 protected.
- Johnny Cueto reportedly turned down an offer from the Arizona Diamondbacks of 6 years $120 million.
- J.A. Happ signed with the Toronto Blue Jays for 3 years $36 million.
- Colby Rasmus & Matt Wieters surprisingly accepted a 1 year Qualifying Offer for $15.8 million.
- The heaviest speculation so far is that the Cubs are in on Alex Gordon and John Lackey, write Peter Gammons.
- Paul Sullivan, noted hobbit, says the Cubs are interested in an F7 reunion. Phil Rogers reported that the two met on 11/18/15.
- There's also been unnamed sources so far linking the Cubs to Jackie Bradley Jr, Denard Span, Tyson Ross, Ben Zobrist, Mike Leake, and Jason Heyward.
- Winter Meetings: 12/7 through 12/10
- Rule 5 Draft: 12/10