With the deadline looming less than two weeks from today, the Cubs rumors are heating up. Theo and Jed Hoyer are almost assuredly going to make some kind of roster moves to improve the team. We’ve discussed in the comments quite extensively Andrew Miller and what we would/wouldn’t like to give up. Here are some updates:
- Andrew Miller is still the Cubs number 1 target, according to George King of the New York Post
- Early rumors had the Yankees wanting injured C/LF Kyle Schwarber. I think we’d all be shocked for Theo to part with Schwarber for a reliever with two years left on his deal
- Yankees brass are reportedly still deciding what do at this deadline with an aging veteran squad. Cubs have plenty of positional talent to get a deal done should the Yankees not find another suitor willing to give up a big prospect
- Cubs are more willing to part with 3B Jeimer Candelario, according to Heyman
- Theo wants to upgrade the club, but also wants to maintain flexibility and not make a deal no matter the cost, according to Bruce Levine.
- Teams are scouting breakout prospect (and international bonus baby) Eloy Jimenez. Jimenez was signed during the same spending spree that landed Gleyber Torres. At the time, many had Jimenez as the top amateur player above Torres. Look for Jimenez to be on some top 100 mid-season propect lists.
- Dmick will happy to hear that the Cubs have scouted A’s OF Josh Reddick, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Reddick is a pure rental as he becomes a FA after the season
- Cubs have also scouted LHP Rich Hill (yes that Rich Hill)
It’s generally thought that Cubs need to upgrade their bullpen (loogy and set up), left field, and/or a top tier starter. What do you want them to upgrade the most?