OSS: Jung-ho Kang and Francisco Cervelli feel the wrath of Cubs.
1. Anthony Rizzo hit his 30th home run of the season to put the Cubs up 5-4. He tacked on a double and a walk and seems to be perhaps be emerging from his slump. Hopefully he is red hot for the next series.
2. Kris Bryant had his second consecutive great game after the horrible doubleheader. He went 3-4 with a walk and 2 doubles. That'll play.
3. Clayton Richard quieted down the Pirates after they jumped all over Kyle Hendricks, taking the ball into the 7th and driving in as many runs as he allowed (2).
1. The slide by Coghlan was clean, but still. It really sucks for Jung-ho Kang. No word on what the injury is except left knee, but it looked like it was possible season-ending. That's not good for the Pirates.
1. Kyle Hendricks was awful today. He gets a semi-pass with the wind howling out, but whenever you allow a home run per inning, your outing is unsuccessful. It's pretty simple. The Cubs need to figure out the #3 and #4 starters if they win the coin-flip game.
2. Austin Jackson was the only non-pitcher Cub not to get a hit. He also left 4 on base. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here.
3. The announced crowd between the two Wild Card hopefuls was 28,228. Get your shit together, Pittsburgh. You have one of the top tier stadiums in sports, and two of the three best teams in the National League are playing. I don't care if it's noon; get to that baseball game.
1:20 PM CT, Cardinals @ Cubs
Lance Lynn (4.38 DRA) vs. Dan Haren (4.74 DRA)