OSS: Cole Hamels strikes out nine in his Cubs debut.
- It wasn’t the most efficient start, but Cole Hamels struck out nine Pirates in five innings in his first appearance in a Cubs uniform. He also picked up his first hit as a Cub as the team jumped all over the Pirates pitchers early. Hamels allowed one unearned run on three hits and two walks.
- Willson Contreras went 3-4 with a two run bomb to LF and a RBI walk.
- Kintzler managed an uneventful 1.1 innings in his Cubs debut. When I looked him up I was shocked to see that he spent parts of six seasons with the Brewers, and yet I have zero memory of him on that team (dying laughing).
- The Dodgers have only scored two runs off of Chase Anderson as I write this.
- CJ was used in a game with a giant lead, but I guess Joe just wanted him to get some work in with the off day earlier this week.
- Relief deuce Tyler Chatwood still managed to issue a walk in while pitching the ninth inning of this one.
Next up: The Cubs open a four game series against the Padres. Hopefully the Cubs can take care of business. Monty takes on Robbie Erlin at 7:05 PM CT tomorrow. Erlin is a swingman who has been good in relief but terrible in the rotation.