OSS: Cubs bats break it open in the fifth.
- Jason Heyward had a solid day against his old team, racking up three hits and two clutch RBI singles in the early innings. He also purloined his first stolen base of the year. I’m guessing the events of the last week or two have been a nice reminder that he doesn’t miss being in that clubhouse.
- Victor Caratini reached base in all four of his plate appearances, which somehow included two infield singles. It was not a great day for DeJong at SS.
- Ian Happ capped off the Cubs five run rally in the fifth inning with a two run bomb that put the Cubs up 6-3. This was the highest WPA play of the game.
- Hendricks was knocked around again today, and had given up nine hits on 100+ pitches when he was removed with the bases loaded with two outs in the fifth inning.
- The Cubs gave up four hits to Yadier Molina.
- First round pick Nico Hoerner is shut down for the rest of the ‘regular’ minor league season with an elbow injury, apparently suffered while diving. He could be back for the AZ fall league.
Jon Lester takes on Jack Flaherty at 1:20 PM CT.