OSS: Chatwood brings his A-game.
- Tyler Chatwood was on point today, striking out 8 in six innings and allowing just three hits and two walks. He struck out Yelich three times in a row. I guess our pandemic-related cognitive dissonance is going to coincide with Tyler Chatwood starts this year?
- The Cubs offense blew up Beers starter Freddy Peralta and erstwhile closer Corey Knebel in the fourth inning, scoring four runs on just one extra base hit. Javy Baez even drew a walk!
- There was a little action on the basepaths, but the bullpen kept the Beers off the scoreboard.
- Ross pinch-hit for his DH later in the game, which was kind of strange. I guess I’ll actually have to learn what the weird rules are surrounding the DH, since it’s something we’ve never had to worry about (dying laughing). The expanded rosters are certainly going to encourage more substitutions, even with the DH.
- Kris Bryant picked up his first hit of the season, but it was a rough day otherwise at the plate with 3 K’s.
- Looks like we’re going to get a lot more Ryan Dempster in our earballs with Marquee this year, so yuck.
Next up: The Cubs head to Cincy for a four game set. Jon Lester takes on Wade Miley at 5:40 PM CT.