OSS: Time to redefine what makes a good Yu Darvish start, I guess.
- Addison Russell had a three-hit day, including a two run homer in the fourth inning that gave the Cubs their first lead of the day. He also legged out a bunt single in the eighth on what was probably a sac bunt and came around to score an insurance run, which was certainly big given the Cubs bullpen issues of late.
- Albert Almora also homered, and I guess I have to admit that he’s actually had a pretty decent month of May after his putrid start to the year. He’s hit .266/.293/.532 despite a .262 BABIP, good for a .342 wOBA and 113 wRC+. With his glove in the mix, that’ll play. Oddly enough he’s been way better against righties than lefties this year (.342 vs .242 wOBA). If he can keep hitting, that’ll play with his glove in CF.
- David Bote had yet another late game clutch hit, doubling in the Cubs rally in the eighth inning to give them back the lead.
- Yu Darvish pitched into the eighth inning, which is good. Yu Darvish gave up six runs on twelve hits, including three homers, which is bad. The wind was howling out, and at least one of those homers was a wind aided cheapie, which is…good? The frogurt is also cursed.
- I was in and out of this game, but it sure seemed like Joe sending Darvish out in the 8th was a message to the FO about the bullpen. At least it sounds like Strop will be back soon. Of course even if the Cubs sign Kimbrel today, he probably won’t be able to pitch in a game in like a month. Thanks, CBA/Ownership! All that money you’re saving on Zobrist’s restricted list stint can sure pay for a lot of superpac ads.
- KB pulled off the old Theriot Special in the first, getting thrown out at third on a FC.
- True to form the bullpen nearly blew it in the eighth and ninth, but got bailed out by the Cubs defense thanks to a caught stealing by Caratini and a double play turned with nobody out in the ninth.
Next up: The Cubs go for the series win before heading down to Houston for a three game set. Having an extra win in your pocket before that would sure be nice.