OSS: The Cubs are back, or something!
- The Cubs cruised to a sweep on the back of a pile of home runs. Today, Jason Heyward, Albert Almora, and Kyle Schwarber brought the lumber, and their three home runs brought their total in the three game series to six. Heyward’s go-ahead shot in the second was the Cubs biggest play of the game by WPA.
- Q was solid enough today, getting the nominal quality start by giving up three runs on six hits and two walks in six innings. Four of those six hits were in the third inning, when the Pirates managed to string together a bunch of singles, which more or less led to all of their runs. Q also helped himself with an RBI single an inning later.
- Rizzo and Robel Garcia were just behind Heyward in WPA. They combined in the second inning to score the Cubs first run of the game.
BONUS: Brewers lose, and the Cubs now have their largest division lead of the season.
- Contreras is dealing with a sore foot and is probably day to day, as are we all. The Cubs wanted to keep him fresh so he doesn’t fade down the stretch, and it helps that Caratini is raking so far this year.
- Heyward had both the best and worst play by WPA – in addition to the home run mentioned above he also GIDP to nearly kill a Cubs rally in the second.
- Berselius is too lazy to write anything for weeks at a time.
Next up: The Reds come to town for a three game set. Luis Castillo takes on Cyle at 7:05 PM CT on Monday.