OSS: Cubs beat another CYA contender.
- Murphy, Rizzo, and Baez all hit home runs off of Aaron Nola, who had only coughed up eight dingers in 176 innings this season.
- Nola was eventually chased by a Kyle Schwarber triple. War Bear also gunned down Phillies leadoff man Roman Quinn at third base on the first play of the game, as the Phillies apparently didn’t get the memo on his arm.
- Jon Lester had another solid start, throwing six shutout innings with seven strikeouts and no walks. It was his fourth straight quality start.
- Most importantly, one of my neighbors brought me a six pack of Spotted Cow. He knew nothing about the beer but his Midwest hookup knew what was what.
- The Cubs struck out six times in a row before Murphy’s home run. Nola had seven strikeouts through 3.2 innings and could have been on the way to a 20K game. Instead he settled for eleven strikeouts and the loss.
- The Brewers beat down the Nats bullpen to pull even with the Cardinals in the magic number column.
- I went to tune into the Cardinals-Reds broadcast and couldn’t decide which announcing team would be worse.
Next up: The Cubs head to Miller Park for a big series with the Brewers. Cole Hamels takes on Zach Davies, who has been out since late May with a shoulder injury.