OSS: Cubs sweep the Cardinals to six back.
- Jason Heyward had a big day at the plate, going 3-4 and posting a .316 WPA, by far the most on the team. The biggest hit was a go-ahead, two out single in the seventh inning what proved to be the decider (not in a presidential sense).
- Jose Quintana had a solid start going, striking out eight and allowing just a handful of hits through five plus innings. Then I was stupid enough to comment on how solid the start was and Dexter Fowler hit a three run bomb. Still, until then he looked pretty good. Pretty useful with the bat handling skills at the plate too, which is not something you expect from a guy coming over from the AL. My emotions will take 5.2 solid innings followed by a three homer over a first inning three run homer followed by 5+ solid innings.
- War Bear hit a opposite field homer, and his season line is now .217/.314/.457, good for a 100 wRC+. Not quite what we were expecting going into the season, but much better than we might have expected two months ago.
- See Fowler home run above. Or don't. I can't tell you what to do.
- Wade Davis had a kind of shaky ninth, pitching his third night in a row. I guess Joe now knows he can hold a six run lead across an inning break.
- The Brewers won, but at least that gives us an excuse to use this a while longer.
Next up: The Cubs have a day off, then travel to Tampa for a two game series. Jon Lester takes on Chris Archer at 6:10 PM CT on Tuesday.