OSS: Cubs get some clutch hits, cruise to victory against another playoff contender.
- Willson Contreras had the two biggest hits of the day by WPA, driving in the Cubs first two runs by homering in the second inning and knocking in Javy on a RBI single in his next PA. He also prompted a kerfuffle with his first HR to to words /gestures exchanged with Tyler Flowers and/or the Braves dugout. The crowd certainly let Flowers have it when he struck out in the next inning.
- We got good Jon Lester in this one, striking out seven with no walks in six innings. He did give up two unearned runs in the sixth thanks to a David Bote error, but the Cubs were up 7-0 by that point.
- Jason Heyward had a two hit day, including a ground rule double that just missed being a back to back HR with Willson. He later did make it over the fence in the eigth inning.
- Tony Barnette made his Cubs debut after being activated off the 60 day IL, and gave up a HR to the first batter he saw. Welcome to the Cubs bullpen! He was actually pretty solid with the Rangers in the past, posting sub-3.00 ERAs in two of his three seasons there.
- Steve Cishek came in to close out the game with a five run lead, which *shrug*. I guess Kimbrel’s arrival is imminent.
- No off-day for the Cubs for another week and a half. Thanks schedule makers! Somehow they are ahead of the Brewers in games played now.
Next up: Max Fried takes on Adbert Alzolay at 7:05 PM CT. Fried was on fire early in the year and shut down the Cubs as a part of the sweep in Atlana, but he’s looked more human of late.