OSS: The Cole Hamels trade is working out okay so far.
- Cole Hamels threw a complete game, allowing just one run on a buncha bloops in the first, and cruising the rest of the way. Hamels’ updated line with the Cubs is 5 GS, 34 IP, 2ER, 8 BB, 30 SO, 0.79 ERA. It’s also nice to see the pen get a break in this long streak of games without a day off.
- The Cubs offense got untracked again today, and Javy Baez’s bomb to deep CF was probably the most memorable moment of the game on offense. According to the radio booth it was the second longest HR hit in baseball so far this season.
- Anthony Rizzo reached base in all of his plate appearances today. His biggest playw as a two run homer in the first that instantly regained the lead for the Cubs. He also singled, hit a deep sac fly, and was intentionally walked.
- Baez TOOTBLANed in the eighth trying to stretch a routine single into a double, and was thrown out by a mile.
- Just twenty more games to go until the Cubs next off day.
- The Brewers and Cardinals did not have a chance to lose today.
Next up: Alec Mills takes on Matt Harvey at 1:20 PM CT. It’s probably a good thing that the pen is rested.