OSS: I spent half an hour trying to find a picture of Stan Hack that included his uniform number.
- Javy broke the ice early with a two run homer in the first inning. He also drove in some late runs as the Cubs piled on in the ninth. Most surprisingly, he drew another walk, this time as Giolito was running out of gas.
- The bullpen was given a two run lead and kept the door closed. Edwards, Wilson and Chavez combined for five strikeouts in three shutout innings.
- Daniel Murphy had the biggest WPA play of the game for the Cubs, with a little help from the Sox defense. He hit a go ahead ‘double’ in the fifth inning that the Sox left fielder completely misjudged.
- The Brewers were shut out by the Pirates.
- Following his HR, Baez had a throwing error in the first inning that led to a Sox run.
- Lester wasn’t his sharpest in this one, and labored to get through five innings. At least he didn’t walk anyone.
- I was just listening on the radio (too busy making 13 apple pies today…) but it sounds like there was a whole lot of #umpshow in this one. Who would have guessed this would happen with a Joe West helmed crew?
Next up: The Cubs go for the series/season win against the Sox at 1:10 PM. Cyle takes on Carlos Rodon.