OSS: Yu Darvish back to dealing.
- Yu Darvish bounced back from his rocky first outing with six innings of shutout ball, striking out seven, walking one, and allowing just a pair of singles. He also erased his lone walk by immediately picking the runner off first base. That’s more like the guy we remember from the back half of last year.
- The offense is still moving along, and it was great to see the Cubs draw seven walks in this game in addition to their six runs. Kipnis homered for his first time as a Cub.
- Craig Kimbrel didn’t walk anyone!
- Of course, instead of walking the first two batters he faced, as we saw in his first outing, he instead coughed up two solo HRs. Not exactly an improvement. He did get out of the inning eventually at least.
- War Bear was the WPA trailer in this game, mostly due to striking out with runners on second and third during a mini-rally in the third inning.
- Baez got a little bunt happy in this game, and I’m not sure why. He first did it with Bryzzo on first and second with one out, and got lucky when Pirates pitcher Trevor Williams threw the ball away when going to first. He threatened to do it again for some reason in the fifth, with Bryzzo again at first and second, eventually flying out following a Rizzo TOOTBLAN
Next up: Tyler Chatwood takes on Mitch Keller at 7:15 PM CT