OSS: Bote hits his 59th* game winning RBI of the season.
- David Bote had another clutch hit against the Nats, though not quite as dramatic as his last one. Of course, it’s pretty tough to top a walk off grand slam down three runs.
- The Cubs won another game started by an ace-y pitcher. Strasburg isn’t quite as Strasburg-y this year, mostly due to a bizarre HR spike, but the Cubs hung three runs in 5.2 innings on him.
- Albert Almora also had a good game, setting up the Cubs rally to tie the game in the eighth with a hit that put runners on second and third with no outs. He also doubled in the tenth and eventually became the go-ahead run.
- The Cubs might not have needed Bote’s late game heroics if Almora hadn’t TOOTBLANed to erase himself in the eighth. It was a Theriot Special, getting caught running on a ball that was hit in front of him. Despite the RBI groundout tying the game, it was the Cubs second most negative play on the day by WPA.
- Kyle had a decent enough game by strikeouts (6) and walks (0), but gave up four runs thanks in part to a Harper ROE.
- CJ looked a bit shaky again today, but luckily Justin Wilson was able to bail him out.
Next up: Jon Lester takes on Joe Ross, who is making his first start in just over a year due to TJS. Seems like a quick turnaround, hopefully the Cubs can take advantage.