OSS: The Marlins stink, but a road sweep is a road sweep.
- Cole Hamels had another great start, striking out 8 in seven scoreless innings. I think JD said at one point that only one ball had reached the outfield all game. That was before he ran into some trouble in his last inning due to a fielding error by Bryant (who was otherwise aces defensively in this one) which drove his pitch count high enough to prevent him from repeating last week’s eight inning performance.
- Daniel Descalso had yet another big game, going 2-3 and driving in half of the Cubs runs on the day. He TOOTBLAN’d on a two run double that he tried to stretch into a single in the third inning, but still easily led the position players in WPA.
- Javy Baez hit an opposite field home run for the second day in a row. The dude is locked in right now
- Another lousy game by Bryzzo, who went 1-8 with three strikeouts. Once those two get on track, look out NL pitching.
- Our old pal Starlin Castro led the Marlins position players in negative WPA in this one, and had kind of a lousy series all around. I guess it’s okay if he has a lousy series against the Cubs, but it sucks to see him playing for a AAA team.
- The Cubs have to wait another three weeks before they play the Marlins again.
Next up: The Cubs have yet another off-day, and then return to Wrigley to face the Dbacks for a three game set. All three games are day games.