OSS: Cubs finally win a series against the frickin’ Reds
- Sonny Gray mostly kept the Cubs bats in check, but his two mistakes were deposited in the bleachers for solo shots by KB and Russell.
- That was all the offense the Cubs would need for most of the game, as Darvish had his A game today. Darvish struck out seven and walked none in six scoreless innings. In his past three starts combined, Darvish has thrown 18.2 innings, struck out 21 and issued just one walk. Maybe there’s an outside chance that he’ll get his ERA below 4 this season after all.
- Jason Heyward came up with a long double to RF to drive in some insurance runs in the seventh, and the Cubs turned out to need them.
- Brandon Kintzler had an uncharacteristically rocky outing, giving up two runs in the eighth inning. At least Heyward had widened the lead a bit the inning before.
- Somehow-the-leadoff-hitter Albert Almora went 0-4 with three strikeouts.
- The Brewers won, so the Cubs lead remains at 2.5
The Cubs have an off day, then host the Padres for a three game set at Wrigley. Jon Lester takes on Eric Lauer at 1:20 PM CT on Friday.