OSS: Cubs bats wake up on the road, for once.
- The Cubs bats actually came up with some big hits on the road, a rare occurrence these days. Javy Baez and Addison Russell both homered off of Marcus Stroman, who is a pretty dang good pitcher.
- The real MVP of this game, however, was Yu Darvish, who continued his second half tear by striking out seven in eight innings, allowing just a solo HR to future ROY Pete Alonso. He did walk his first batter in over a month though, so I guess that contract is back to being a bust.
- Even aside from the homers, the Cubs were hitting the ball all over the yard, as Baez, Caratini, Bryant, and Castellanos all hit doubles. The team strikeout total was right in line with their average from last weekend’s Nats series, but somehow the lazy narrative about putting the ball in play doesn’t come up when you win. Love to see six extra base hits in a game instead of relying on 70% of your ground balls finding holes.
- Javy had two TOOTBLANs in this one. The team was a little too aggressive on the basepaths early on and were probably pressing a little bit, understandably.
- No Rizzo again today, and likely tomorrow as well.
- The useless Brewers lost to the Cardinals, and somehow managed to have a rain delay in their domed stadium. Good job, good effort fellas.
Next up: Cyle takes on Thor, at 6 PM CT.