- Kyle Hendricks was absolutely amazing tonight, allowing just two hits and striking out six in 7.1 innings. There were just two baserunners in the first seven innings, a leadoff single on the first pitch of the game that got wiped out by a slick double play turned by Baez, and an error by Baez was wiped away by a great pickoff by Cyle. He was starting to fall behind guys in the 8th when Joe brought him out but I think he could easily have completed the shutout if not the Maddux under normal non-playoff situations. Adding “beat the best pitcher in baseball in an elimination game” to “best ERA in MLB” is quite the added spice to an amazing season.
- Dexter Fowler got things going right away with a ground rule double off of Kershaw, scoring the much needed first Cubs run. He later added on with a RBI single/TOOTBLAN.
- Rizzo was technically the Cubs WPA leader, the best kind of WPA leader, but a big chunk of that came from a huge error in the first inning by Dodgers LF Andrew Toles that extended the Cubs rally. But he still was part of that pickoff play and hit a home run, so I GUESS he did okay today.
- Speaking of home runs, Willson Contreras also had a solo shot off Kershaw. He didn’t even look like he had never been behind the plate before when catching Chapman.
- The defense all around was fantastic as usual tonight, with the best play of the day by who else but Javier Baez. He was well deserving of his share of the NLCS MVP, and no one would have batted an eyelid if it was him alone.
- This bottle of Abt 12 was pretty fucking great (dying laughing)
Far too many down:
- Too many people that would have loved to see this didn’t make it this far. Hopefully the Cubs can win four more for them.
Next up: The Cubs play the Cleveland Indians in the WORLD FUCKING SERIES. Game one is in Cleveland on Tuesday at 7 PM CT. I’m guessing it will be Lester vs Kluber, but I’m too lazy/drunk/happy to actually research any of this. (dying laughing).