- Jason Hammel returned from his abbreviated start last time with 7 excellent innings. He only allowed 1 hit, though that hit was a 1st inning home run to Jake Lamb with a man on base. Hammel also singled up the middle in the 4th inning with 2 outs in a tie game. Two scored and the Cubs never lost the lead. Hammel has 7 RBI this season and according to Myles his OPS is the same as Jason Heyward's.
- Jorge Soler hit a game tying ground rule double in the 4th inning. It was the second highest WPA play of the game (Hammel's go-ahead single was the top play).
- Travis Wood came in for Trevor Cahill in the 8th inning after Pedro Strop had a difficult time retiring the Diamondbacks. Wood got Rickie Weeks, Jr. to lineout to Ben Zobrist. That could easily have given the Diamondbacks a 5-4 lead.
- Pedro Strop gave up a leadoff home run in the 8th and then after Nick Ahmed grounded out and Michael Bourn struckout, Jean Segura lined a single to CF. Brandon Drury singled to LF and Joe Maddon had had enough of Strop for the day.
- Trevor Cahill was called on to get Paul Goldschmidt after Strop left the game. This one goes to Cahill who walked Goldschmidt on 4 pitches and to Joe Maddon and all managers in baseball who refuse to use their closers when it's most important. There's no reason Hector Rondon should not have been brought in to face Goldy. It's why closers get paid a lot of money, but they're never used in this manner anymore. I guess 8-man bullpens are more important.
- Addison Russell was 1-4 today, but he struckout a couple of times and looked terrible doing so. I had hoped his pinch hit PA yesterday was the start of something, but he's not going too well right now. He's really struggling.
Next up: Patrick Corbin vs. Jake Arrieta on Sunday at 1:20 CT. Arrieta goes for his 10th win of the season as the Cubs go for their 40th win of the season.