OSS: Cubs bats wake up late to back a vintage Cyle performance.
- Vintage Cyle just missed out on the complete game in this one. Going into the ninth he had allowed just one hit and one walk with eight strikeouts. He gave up a solo shot in the top of the inning and was pulled with one out to go after giving up a single to Paul Goldschmidt, who was gunned down by Willie to end the game one pitch later. It was the second time this season that he pitched 8+ innings – the last was a early July start in SF where he struck out eight and allowed an unearned run in 8.1 innings.
- Patrick Corbin silenced the Cubs bats for the first five innings, but they finally managed to break it open with a Javy Baez home run in the sixth.
- Kris Bryant also hit his first home run in what seems like a decade to put this game out of reach in the eighth inning.
- Dangit Joe, let Cyle finish the game. I could see an argument for pulling him with Goldy coming up to the plate, but he had *already* batted before Joe yanked him.
- Russell had a bad looking throwing error in this game, leading to JD speculating about the health of his shoulder. Addy really tightened up his throws earlier this year, so I hope JD isn’t on to something.
- The Brewers won big against the Reds to keep pace with the Cubs.
Next up: Mike Montgomery takes on Matt Andriese in another 8:40 CT start. Andriese ‘started’ a bunch of games with the Rays earlier this year, and sports a 7+ ERA since coming over to AZ.