OSS: Cubs win in extras on a bases clogged walk.
- La Stella drew a pinch walk with the bases juiced against a clearly gassed Corey Knebel in the tenth inning that proved to be the deciding run.
- The biggest play of the game by WPA was not the La Stella walk. Anthony Rizzo hit a no-out single in the tenth to put Bryant on third base, good for a WPA of .225.
- It was a great outing for the bullpen, who allowed one run on two hits and a walk with eight strikeouts over 6 innings. Bonus props to Edwards and Monty for going multiple innings, especially since Monty threw 81 pitches of near no-hit ball just three days ago.
- I'm not sure why Leonys Martin came up to the plate in the tenth instead of La Stella, a batter earlier than when he appeared. JD speculated that Joe wanted his glove in the game if the Cubs took the lead, and given that he was up with the bases clogged and no outs there was a good chance of that happening. Pretty thin justification though.
- John Lackey did John Lackey things early in the game.
- The Cardinals won, so the magic humber is only Vitters instead of Joey Gathright.
Next up: Kyle Hendricks faces his pitching doppelganger in a day game matchup at 12:05 CT