OSS: Chicago Cubs baseball is on the air!
- Ian Happ went 3-4 with 2 RsBI, and led all Cubs players with a .351 WPA on the day. Happ hit a ground rule double in the second, and the biggest hit of the day with a tie-breaking two-run double in the 7th inning that gave the Cubs the lead.
- Nico Hoerner gave the Cubs their first lead of the season on a fifth inning laser beam home run to left center off of Brewers starter Corbin Burnes. Burnes didn’t last much longer before being pulled, which was certainly nice to see given how he’s decimated the Cubs lineup in the past.
- Cyle had a solid outing to start the year, striking out seven and allowing just one run over 5.2 innings. He also walked a few but mostly managed to work out of any base clogging situations along the way. His changeup looked like it was in midseason form.
- Seiya Suzuki made his regular season debut, and went 1-2 with two walks looking completely relaxed coming out of the gate.
- The bullpen coughed up the lead once and nearly did so again later in the game, but managed to hold on. Bullpens gonna bullpen I guess.
- Rafael Ortega, somehow the opening day DH, capped off the first inning with a TOOTBLAN. It’s not what you want.
- 2021 Legend, somehow, Frank Schwindel had the roughest day at the plate, going 0-4.
Next up: Bob Minocqua* takes on Justin Steele, somehow, in one of the biggest starting pitching mismatches of the season at 1:20 PM. Game 2, feel the excitement!
*I refuse to be embarrassed by this dumb joke