OSS: Cubs come back and win in extras thanks to a Bryant bomb.
- Kris Bryant hit a go-ahead two run homer in the tenth inning to put the Cubs back in the lead. Bryant was 3-4 on the day and also drew a walk, which was mitigated somewhat by the dozen or so double plays that the Cubs hit into during this game.
- In fact, the Bryant HR wasn't the highest WPA play of the game. That honor goes to Javy Baez, who hit a two out RBI single in the ninth to tie the game.
- I'm just scouting the statline here, but it looks like Arrieta had a fairly promising return from his leg injury.
- It felt like the Cubs should have scored something like 12 runs in this game. But I'll take the W.
- Rizzo was tossed out at home in the tenth inning in one of the weirder double plays that you'll see, as well as a terrible send and slide.
- The bottom WPA play of the day for either team belonged to Willson Contreras, who hit into an inning ending double play in the 8th in a tie game.
Next up: John Lackey takes on Brandon Woodruff at 6:35 PM CT