OSS: Nice to bust out my favorite recap header pic for the first time this year.
- After a slow start for both teams, the Cubs had a homer party in the fourth inning. Contreras, Baez, and Bote all went yard off of sometime Cub Brett Anderson.
- Following in the footsteps of Zach Davies, Trevor Williams had a solid debut in a Cubs uniform, no-hitting the Beers through five innings before running out of steam in the sixth and seventh innings. It is pretty cool that his dad is a huge Cubs fan who was obviously thrilled to see his son pitching (and well) in a Cubs uni, but Marquee went to that well about five too many times. And then they decided that they wanted to come back for even more. It’s a long season guys, make sure you leave some blood in that stone.
Williams finished the day with 6 strikeouts, 2 hits, and 2 walks in 6+ IP. He left two baserunners in the seventh who came around to score.
Todd JonesAndrew Chafin was nails out of the bullpen, striking out all four batters he faced in the seventh/eighth. His stache is already a thing of legend. Alec Mills also did a solid job closing out the game, even if he might be the least intimidating-looking closer of all time.
- Willson Contreras took a pitch to the head from hard throwing (and typically unhittable) Brewers reliever Devin Williams. Luckily the helmet worked as designed and he appears to be okay, but that’s always a scary-ass thing to see.
- The box score shows a good ol 1 out sac bunt with a runner on second from Ian Happ, which is never what you want to see. Happ was probably bunting for a hit, rather than the sacrifice, but damn me if I’d rather just see him swing away there.
- The Cubs WPA trailer was reliever Jason Adam, who inherited a tough situation from Williams and managed to get two outs before coughing up a three run shot.
Newly minted fifth starter Adbert Alzolay takes on Freddy Peralta at 6:40 CT. Peralta pitched a few innings in the Brewers opener, striking out the side in two straight innings but also walking three batters. Sounds like the perfect guy for this Cubs lineup (dying laughing).