OSS: Cubs win it late with more help from the sloppy Brewers defense.
The Cubs ninth inning unfolded as follows
La Stella popped out to SS
Caratini ROE, advanced to second
Zobrist RBI infield single to tie the game
Happ single to CF to score two more
Lester safety squeeze for another run
La Stella popped out to P
The Cubs scored four runs while only hitting one ball that (should have) gotten out of the infield. I'll take it.
- Kris Bryant had a monster game, going 3-3 with a single, triple, HR, and two walks.
- Yu Darvish bounced back in a big way from his Cubs debut, striking out nine while allowing just two hits and a walk in six innings.
- The offense finally broke through in the most unorthodox way possible, but it felt like they left a billion guys on base in this game. Maybe noted Situational Hitting Expert coach Chili Davis can remind the hitters that sacrifice flies are a thing.
- Ian Happ came through with the big hit in the ninth that put the Cubs ahead, but it was another three strikeout day for him. I didn't necessarily expect the whole Happ as leadoff hitter thing to go swimmingly, but this is completely bizarre.
- The Cubs only managed to strike out Ryan Braun three times across his four plate appearances. I guess there's room for progress.
Next up: The Cubs go for the series win at 1:10 PM CT, and can finally head back to Wrigley. Jose Quintana will take on nominal Brewers ace Chase Anderson.