- Javy Baez provided most of the spark for the Cubs offense today, hitting a two run homer in the seventh to answer a shot by Todd Frazier in the previous half inning. He also doubled to lead off the Cubs rally in the ninth inning and stole third.
- The Cubs biggest WPA play of the day was Rizzo’s game-tying single in the ninth, which was a single poked the other way against a lefty. It could have been even bigger were it not for a misadventure on the basepaths…
- Credit to Justin Grimm, who has now posted nine straight scoreless outings despite calls for the Cubs to send him to Iowa in the comments today.
- The back-breaker in tonight’s game was Kris Bryant‘s TOOTBLAN during the ninth inning rally trying to stretch a long single into a double. Fangraphs doesn’t break down plays to that level of granularity so I’m not sure how much it cost the Cubs in terms of win%, but man was that brutal.
- Try as they might, the White Sox just would not give in to the Cubs desire to hit into their 5,000th double play of the month in the eighth inning today. Trailing 4-2, Zobrist led off with a walk, followed by two straight weak grounders to 2b by Willson and Heyward that they somehow beat out to first base. Heyward hit a double in the sixth so his day wasn’t all bad, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he’s gone 2-30 with 14 double plays since the ASB.
- I missed the first half of this game, tuning in just in time to see Arrieta cough up a HR to Todd Frazier. At least it wasn’t a Kirk Nieuwienhuieusse type this time. Reading the comments around here it sounds like Joe left him in too long, but at least from the game log it seems relatively defensible. Leaving Montgomery in when Strop was available in the tenth was probably less defensible.