OSS: War Bear walks it off in extras.
- Kyle Schwarber managed to drop a Raisel Iglesias pitch in the basket to give the Cubs a walkoff win.
- KB and Robel Garcia also homered in this one to tie the game up in the earlier innings. Garcia has a .703 wOBA since being called up to the Cubs, and while the dude strikes out a lot he’s certainly providing more spark than Daniel Descalso. How is he still on the team?
- The bullpen was solid in relief of spot starter Alec Mills, pitching four innings of shutout ball.
- Alec Mills gave a credible spot start, allowing three runs and striking out six over six innings. He also somehow hit four batters, which seems bizarre. I missed the game so was a little confused by all the Derek Dietrich references flying around until I found it buried in the box score. One day when I am the Supreme Leader I will decree that HBPs will be counted as walks or something in a pitcher’s box score line.
- Newest Cubs Martin Maldonado had a brutal day at the plate, going 0-5 and striking out with the winning run on third in the ninth inning for the Cubs most negative play by WPA on the day.
- The Beers won big so the Cubs division lead remains at 2.5 games.
Next up: The Cubs go for what would somehow be the first series win of the season over the Reds. Yu Darvish takes on Sonny Gray at 1:20 PM CT, in a battle between two guys who have had inconsistent seasons.