OSS: Bryzzo each homer, Cubs cruise to a series win.
- Kris Bryant’s hot hitting streak continues, homering yet again in this one. KB also drew two walks, coming around to score on…
- Another home run from Anthony Rizzo. It’s nice to see both guys hitting at the same time. Bryant improved his wRC+ to 145, and Rizzo’s is now 147. They still have a ways to go if they want to match the mighty bat of Jon Lester, who has a 176.
- Mike Montgomery looked great in long relief today, pitching five innings of shutout ball in relief of Yu Darvish. If Monty ends up as Darvish’s effective handcuff, it could free up Chatwood for a more significant late innings role…
- Yu Darvish had another wild start, walking six and racking up nearly 100 pitches in just four innings. At least while Darvish didn’t know where the ball was going, neither did the batters, who struck out seven times and only managed one hit and one run.
- David Bote’s slump continues, as he went 0-4 with two strikeouts in this game. It was his fourth straight start without a hit.
- The Cardinals are winning big against the Pirates as I write this.
Next up: The Cubs host the Brewers for a weekend series. Jose Quintana faces Gio Gonzalez in the opener at 1:20 PM CT.