OSS: Cyle tosses a Maddux.
- Kyle Hendricks was efficient af, needing just 81 pitches for a complete game shutout. Hendricks struck out three and walked none, allowing just four hits. His ERA dropped nearly a run and a half down to 3.93 on the season.
- Anthony Rizzo had the big hit of the day, a three run homer that put the Cubs ahead in the third inning. Rizzo’s slash line is now up to .252/.386/.551, good for a wOBA of .393 and wRC+ of 146. I’m not sure why he’s felt so invisible this year.
- Honestly Cyle should get two spots on this list, he was so dominant in this game.
- Not much to complain about in a shutout. Javy struck out in his first three PAs, but knocked an RBI single for some late game insurance. He followed that up with a TOOTBLAN, and wasn’t able to tie things up long enough to allow Rizzo to score from third.
- Heyward was the WPA trailer in this one, thanks to a bases loaded popout in the sixth and a FC in the second. At least that wasn’t a double play.
- The Brewers won, so that was lame.
Next up: Yu Darvish takes on Michael Wacha at 3:05 PM CT. Both guys have struggled this year and are looking to (continue to?) right the ship.