OSS: KB stays hot, Cubs win another close one against the Beers.
- Kris Bryant hit yet another home run, his fifth in the last eight games. His wRC+ is all the way up to 149. The heart of the Cubs lineup now has wRC+ of 149, 142, 157, and 171. That’ll do, pig.
- Jon Lester had another great start, pitching 6.2 innings and allowing just 1 run. His ERA dropped to 1.16, which leads the majors among starting pitchers…depending on where you draw the qualified number of innings bar.
- Javy had another big day, reaching base in all four of his PAs. He singled, reached on an error, hit a go-ahead RBI double, and most improbably, drew a walk. He also took an extra base on two different wild pitches. He leads the team with 1.9 WAR as of Sunday morning, and that number should go up again when FG updates its totals overnight.
- Over the course of the series, the Cubs held Yelich to just two hits and one ROE in 15 PAs.
- Rizzo was scratched from this one due to back spasms. He usually has issues with this around this time of year, but still always a bummer to see it pop up. The word is that he should be good to go after the off day on Monday.
- Cishek got the save today, but we haven’t seen that much from him this year to inspire that much confidence. Or maybe I just didn’t tune in on days where he was good (like presumably today).
- Schwarber took an awkward angle on a Yelich fly ball that he missed while diving, leading to a three base error. Schwarber came back to make a great sliding catch later in the ballgame.
Next up: The Cubs have an off-day, then head to Cincy for a three game set. They’re all night games at 5:40 PM CT.