OSS: Cubs outplay the Cardinals, lose anyway.
- The Cubs biggest play of the day by WPA was Ben Zobrist‘s seeing-eye single up the middle in the ninth, making it first and third with one out and Rizzo coming to the plate. Zobrist had a great day at the plate in general, going 3-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- The Cubs other top performer at the plate was Miguel Montero, who went 2-3 with a walk. He drove in the first run of the Cubs rally in the fourth that felt like it should have gone on a lot longer.
- John Lackey had a great start all the way up to his second to last batter. He mowed down his former teammates early in the game, including striking out five in a row at one point. He got himself into a mess in the third but managed to work out of bases clogged and one out with just a sacrifice fly against him. I even saw him close his mouth once.
- Yet another Cardinals pinch hit home run, this time by Matt Adams, who lost his job to the likes of Brandon Moss going into the season but somehow has five homers.
- The Cubs rally in the ninth was killed by a great play by Matt Carpenter, who caught the flare hit off Rizzo’s fists mere inches from the bag to double off Fowler, who had run on contact.
- Soler has seemingly been making adjustments over the past few days and has been hot, but it’s pretty tough to adjust to having balls 6 inches inside called strikes.
Next up: Hammel v Wacha, 6:10 PM (??) CT