OSS: Carlos Martinez is good at sports.
- Willson Contreras hit a game-tying three run homer in the ninth inning, a bomb to left that I am surprised not to see in the upper deck. I thought he also looked pretty good backstopping Lester and keeping runners on their toes, at least in the part I watched on tv.
- War Bear was the only other Cub hitter with a postitive WPA today. He was seemingly the only guy who had a handle on Martinez, singling and doubling in his first PAs, and was part of the should-have-been rally in the eighth. He didn't get much action defensively in left from what I remember.
- Baseball is back! And is still simultaneously the worst and the best.
- It's too bad we have not seen any recent evidence that teams should not use their closers in tie games on the road.
- The Grichuk walk-off was obviously the biggest play of the game for the Cardinals, but his earlier homer off Pedro Strop was somehow more frustrating.
- If anything, it felt like the game should never have been this close. The Cardinals had Lester on the ropes at pretty much every turn, and the staff issued seven non-intentional walks.
There's a weather off-day on Monday, then Jay Carrieta takes on Adam Wainwright on Tuesday evening.