OSS: Darvish loses the handle in the fifth.
- The Cubs started this one with a bang, hitting to solid singles to lead off the game and then were inches away from a three run homer by Contreras.
- Denver local David Bote hit a double in his first MLB plate appearance, so good for him. The Rockies fans around me spent a good 20 minutes arguing which high school he would have gone to once they saw that he was form Longmont.
- No runs allowed by the bullpen, and Luke Farrell actually looked kind of good in his Cubs debut.
- Darvish was cruising to start the game, no-hitting the Rockies for the first few innings. But then things fell apart in the 5th and suddenly it was 5-2. It looks like a narrative is emerging that he can't bounce back from adversity mid-start, so that's great for a guy three starts into his Cubs career.
- Rizzo's back may be feeling better, but his bat isn't there yet. He did not look good again in this one, and IIRC he even tried to bunt for a hit without a significant shift on.
- Shoutout to the Rockies fan in the row in front of me who showed up late, shit-talked the Cubs for most of the game, and puked on himself in the eighth but stuck around until the end of the game.
Next up: The Cubs go for the series win at 2:10 CT with Quintana facing off against German Marquez. Hopefully I'll get some kind of radio reception as I had back through the mountains.