OSS: Monty and the bullpen combine to one-hit the Rays.
- Mike Montgomery was great today after his brief bullpen test, allowing just a solo home run over six inning while striking out six and issuing zero walks. Edwards, Strop, and Davis shut the door over the final three innings, striking out five Rays and not allowing anyone to reach base.
- Javy Baez was the offensive WPA leader on the day, thanks to an effective double in the third and a RBI double in the fifth. It look forward to seeing more of Baez knocking in Russell.
- War Bear got the scoring going with a solo shot in the second inning.
- It sure would be nice to see the reigning MVP get a start after a day off in a tight race. Just sayin'.
- The Brewers somehow also keep winning. The Cubs have gone on a seven game winning streak since being swept by the Brewers but have only clawed back a win and a half on their lead.
- The Pirates might fall behind the Reds in the standings, which (dying laughing). Though if one were a Pirates fan, once it was clear that they weren't going to make the playoffs I guess you would have to root for them to lose every game the rest of the way. So good work, Polanco et al, I guess.
Next up: Jon Lester takes on Blake Snell, whose official photo makes him look like he's 14 or so, at 6:10 pm CT.