OSS: Cubs try to get blown out on the road again, but the Pirates just weren’t having it.
- Kris Bryant had the biggest hit of the day, a line drive homer in the seventh that finally broke the tie. Bryant also drew a walk and a HBP in this game. It is curious that both Bryant and Rizzo were hit by pitches in this game….it’s a good thing the Pirates don’t have a reputation for headhunting 🤔
- Tyler Chatwood of all people got the job done today, pitching two scoreless innings in relief of Lester. Chatwood came on with two on and nobody out in the seventh inning and managed to escape the jam with no damage.
- Given the way the ninth inning has gone the past few days, seeing Chatwood issue a leadoff walk in the ninth was not great. But Rowan Wick, who Joe seemingly keeps forgetting about, came in and got three straight groundouts to finally close out a game for the Cubs.
- Credit to Jon Lester for coming up with some clutch pitching to escape some jams, but he’s the one who created them in the first place. The Pirates had a runner in scoring position in five different innings, but couldn’t break through. Lester even walked the opposing pitcher in the fifth inning to make it bases loaded with nobody out, before wriggling free. It’s best to be lucky *and* good.
- Kris Bryant had a rough day at third base, getting charged with two errors.
- Javy had the roughest day at the plate, going 0-4 with two GIDP.
Next up: The Cubs finish up their series with the Pirates with a game at Williamsport in honor of the LLWS. Hopefully their road game woes don’t extend to a neutral site. Q takes on Mitch Keller at 6:10 PM CT.