OSS: Cubs eke one out in the rain
- Jose Quintana had one of his best starts as a Cub, striking out eleven batters in seven shutout innings. It’s especially good to see given how much of a disaster his last start was. Even better, he only issued one walk.
- Daniel Descalso had the big hit of the night, driving in Heyward in the seventh for the go-ahead run. We all grumbled about the signing, but he’s been pretty good so far. From what I remember he was a swing change guy which may have explained the Cubs interest in him. Certainly there wasn’t much in StL to recommend him, but he looks like a different guy now.
- The rain let up, so the bullpen ended up closing the door without very much drama. Another week or two of scoreless outings and they might even rate out as average!
- It looks like Victor Caratini suffered a broken hand/wrist in this one. Props to him for still belting out a double after it supposedly occurred. I’m not as bullish as some on Caratini, but he’s certainly better than Taylor Davis, who seems likely to replace him.
- The Cubs almost blew the game in Cubes-like fashion in the sixth, when Javy was at the plate with one out and runners at second and third. Javy hit a grounder to third base which resulted in not one but two outs at home, as Javy didn’t run. He had thought the ball hit his foot, but video review was inconclusive so it turned into a cheapie double play. If you do hit your foot in a situation like that, you either have to sell it or go to first anyway. Anything in between just invites what happened.
- The rest of the offense was not great today, but that’s easy to chalk up to the weather conditions. At least the Cubs were able to get yesterday’s and today’s games in, rather than burning what off days are left.
It’s too late to write my already lazily sourced preview, but some quick highlights
- The Angels are coming off a sweep of the Beers. Thanks, Angels!
- Mike Trout is day to day with a groin injury. He missed Wednesday’s game but reportedly has felt better. But if the weather is still lousy-ish I would not be surprised to see him miss a game or two in this series.
- Friday’s matchup is between LHP Taylor Skaggs and Cole Hamels
- Saturday’s is RHP Chris Stratton vs Kyle Hendrics
- Sunday is former Cub RHP Trevor Cahill vs (gulp) Tyler Chatwood